PC Free was introduced in iOS 5. Rather then forcing the user to set up a iOS device by connecting it to a computer and syncing with iTunes, it allows you to enter an iCloud login and restore from a backup or set it up as a new device without iTunes, because the syncing is done over iCloud.
- New Welcome screen when you start using the device for the 1st time
- iTunes/USB no longer required to activate devices
- Ability to synch wirelessly to iTunes
- Ability to update software directly on the device without needing to tether it to iTunes.
- iPhone (3GS and later)
- iPod Touch (3rd generation and later)
- iPad (all generations)