|Apple code name||P1|
|Date released||21 July 1999|
|Date discontinued||22 October 2003|
|Processor and speed||PowerPC 750 - G3 at 300 MHz|
|System software||MacOS 8.6} - MacOS 9.2.2 and MacOS X 10.2|
|Price at release||$1,600|
The original iBook G3 came in colors. With the iBook G3 at 500 MHz, Apple went back from the coloured laptops to a simple white one. There are a variety of models within the iBook G3.
Apple recommends distinguishing between the different white iBook models by looking at the kinds of connectors.
At initial release, the iBook G3 had a processor speed of 300 MHz; by the last model it was 3 times faster at 900 MHz. In January 2002, a 14-inch model was introducted side by side with the 12-inch model. Though the 14-inch iBook has a bigger screen, it retained the same resolution at 1024 by 768. The replacement for the iBook G3 was the iBook G4.
- USB: 1 1.0 Port
- AirPort: Add-on
Memory and Hard Drive Space
- Initial RAM: 32 MB or 64 MB
- Maximum RAM: 288 MB or 320 MB
- Initial Hard Drive Space: 3.2 GB or 6 GB
The iBook is capable of wireless computing using AirPort technology. Later iBooks (after G3) could no longer run the pre OS X operating systems (although they can emulate them with classic?).
Sources and References
- Apple's iBook pages
- Apple's 1 May 2001 initial (?) press release (check whether this was the first iBook; used to start filling out the template, so if it wasn't the initial info needs updating)
- Apple's 16 October 2001 press release for the 600 MHz configuration/model
- Apple's 20 May 2002 press release for the 700 MHz configuration/model
- Apple's 6 November 2002 press release for the 800 MHz configuration/model (prices starting at $999)
- Apple's 13 September 2000 press release for earlier colour iBooks
- EveryMac.com's iBook 500 (G3) page
- EveryMac.com's original iBook page
- EveryMac.com's iBook summary page
for 500 MHz
- 1024-by-768 resolution 12.1-inch TFT display
- USB and FireWire® connectors
- 4.9 pounds
- up to 5 hours of battery life (significantly longer than many other laptops at the time of original release)